Today is the first day in about three months that I have had the energy to do more than “just get through a day.” Hooray! We’ve been working hard every weekend for the past six weeks or so, trying to finish up some of the spring yard projects that we’ve had planned. We aren’t doing these projects for Gracie’s graduation party, they are things we’ve wanted to do for the past three summers but just ran out of time, energy, and money before we could getting everything accomplished on your Yard and Garden To Do List. But the fact that we do have a graduation party planned for June 22nd is giving us a bit of motivation to wrap up some of these “loose ends.”
So, even though I’ve been pushing myself on the weekends, weeding, raking, painting, power washing everything in sight, I very quickly run out of energy. After I’ve been outside doing all those fun things, in the sun for several hours, I find that it takes me a couple of days to recover. This annoying cough still isn’t completely gone yet, but I am definitely doing much better than before. I do try to pace myself, but when there is a project that needs to be finished – like patching and painting the patio before it rains – there really isn’t a good “stopping point” just because I’m tired.
This past weekend we finally had a chance to paint the concrete portion of our deck . . . but then it rained overnight. The next morning there were little bubbles, kind of like water blisters, all over the painted area. I wondered if they would go away when the sun came out and dried everything out, but of course, we couldn’t put the final coat of paint on over it while it was still wet. Today it is dry, no bubbles, but no paint because the hardware store did not have the right tint base when we went back to buy more. So everything on our deck it all in a jumble, waiting for the weather to be “just right” so we can finish painting. Always something that needs to be done!
In the meantime, I was working on getting some planters arranged. I managed to fill up the window boxes with red and white impatiens, and I also spray painted an old metal watering can and filled it with more red and white impatiens. I also saved a couple of plain ol’ tin cans and spray painted them white, tied some twine around one and ribbon around another one, and popped a couple of red impatiens in them.
We still have several smaller projects to finish up, which will really be fun to do, but that painting project just might be a major annoyance for the next couple of weeks, until we can finish painting and get things back in place so we can use our beautiful deck – well, it will be beautiful when it is finished! Today I’m doing my best to try to catch up on a few things without putting myself out of commission for the rest of the week. It’s beginning to feel like a rather miserable cycle – my whole world goes to wrack and ruin (not really, but it sometimes feels that way) when I’m not feeling great, and then once I get back to business, I push myself until I can barely function. Then, I start that cycle all over again. Seems like I would learn not to do that!
I’m trying – here’s to a better day and a better week – and hope for a couple of dry days so we can paint the deck. But not too many dry days or the farmers won’t be able to finish planting. All this rain has them way behind schedule, so if you think about it, please say a little prayer for all of the farmers here in the midwest who depend on good weather to plant their crops. And we all depend on the farmers to have fresh vegetables in the grocery stores!