Well . . . at least I’m trying. My goal is to get a few of the big projects wrapped up around here so that we can shift into “maintenance” mode. We’ve made a lot of progress (pictures coming soon!), but there are still some smaller projects that need to be finished. This past week I missed BOTH of the linky parties that I normally participate in, and I haven’t had any time at all to work on my other online projects. Other than teaching my ESL classes every morning, I’ve sadly neglected my blogs and even my emails have piled up.
It’s looking good this week, so far, though. It’s challenging juggling all of the “everyday” activities and responsibilities, but then when you try to throw in the BIG projects that require hours, and even days, to complete . . . . it’s just impossible to do it all. But I try.
Yesterday I took some time in the evening to wash off our deck (that desperately needs to be painted – but then there’s ANOTHER HUGE project), and set out some plants as well as the painted rug I made last summer. Since it was just an old “junk” rug to begin with, it really doesn’t matter to me if it gets wet, and with all the paint that I used, it seems like it is going to work out great on the deck. We also added a free-standing pergola (what does that word mean anyway????) in front of our main door off the deck which adds a bit of shade and a touch of charm to that plain ol’ front door.
I’m planning to paint the door soon, as well, so that will be one of the smaller jobs that can be completed in an afternoon. I put a pretty plant on a chair beside the door – the chair broke a couple of summers ago and we fixed it, but I still didn’t want to use it inside, so I painted it white – and spray painted an old pair of rain boots that my girls had grown out of to set beside it. We had a free-standing plant hanger in the garage, so I pulled that out and hung a planter 0n it that was filled with pink and white petunias, and I had a black wire shelf that was used in our storage room that I cleaned off and put a few plants on it, as well. I also had a bunch of old birdhouses that I had collected over the years that were just sitting out in the garage. They were pretty dreary and faded so I spray painted them, too!
I’ve always been pretty good at upcycling old junk and making it into something new and different, and it’s no different when it comes to fixing up our yard and garden. I still have to spray paint the patio table and chairs (dark green will now be periwinkle blue!) and add a few more plants that we are going to dig up and pop into various pots and buckets for planters, and if I can manage it, I’m hoping to find a pretty little bistro set for the small raised deck area with the French doors that lead into my office.
Well . . . it’s an old house and it needs lots of TLC, but we are making the most of it. Gotta get busy again on the next project! I’ll post more pictures soon.