If you’ve read my blog posts at all over the past couple of months, you know that we have been in the middle of a complete home update project. We have stripped wallpaper, painted, repaired, replaced, and added all kinds of stuff to our old house. We had new carpeting put down in the living room, and we laid new laminate flooring in our entry way and master bathroom. We are exhausted!
We just finished painting the master bathroom (well, actually I haven’t even quite finished painting the trim around the door) and spent the weekend laying new flooring in there. When we bought the house there was carpeting in that bathroom and I’ve never been a fan of carpeting in bathrooms (probably from years of being a mama to two little boys!), so that was one of the first things we wanted to replace.
In the process of putting down new flooring we discovered, I’m thinking because of the carpeting in there, that part of the floor boards needed to be replaced because of water damage. Got that done. Painted the walls and the trim, started replacing the base board, and painted the old cabinet under the sink as well as the hardware so that it now looks really nice. Almost finished!
On Monday night I walked into the bathroom to put some laundry in the washing machine (our laundry “room” is just off of the master bathroom) and discovered water on the floor. Great. So we cleaned up the water and moved the washing machine, thinking that the hose had come off the back, and that was the cause of water on the floor. Hmmmm . . . . the hose was still attached to the back of the washing machine so that wasn’t the problem.
After cleaning up the initial puddles of water from the new floor, we noticed that there was water streaming out from under the wall where the water lines come into the house for the laundry room. The wall was wet, the floor was flooding, and we had no clue what was going on. All in our “almost finished” updated master bathroom. Hubby then decided to open up the wall above where the water was streaming in to see if he could “fix” the problem.
Now we had a huge hole in the freshly painted wall, water all over the brand-new floor, and soggy wet insulation laying all over the place. “I guess we better call a plumber!” he said. So I did. This was at 9:30 on Monday night. We did manage to shut off all of the water to the whole house (that’s inconvenient!) and waited for the plumber to arrive on Tuesday. Finally, around 6:30 Tuesday night the plumber arrived. “You’ve got a mess!” Tell me something I don’t know. By 11:00 that night I was prepared to pay the $75.00 that I had been told was the charge for a service call, and then whatever they had to do could be paid for after they figured out what needed to be done.
When he was finally finished for the night (“I have to come back after everything dries out,” he said, “to replace that broken pipe.”), he walked out into the kitchen to get out all his paperwork and said, “The total for today is $409.00.” Well, I wasn’t prepared for that! Fortunately we do have a credit card which we HATE to use, but in this case we had no choice. Hope that counts towards our insurance deductible!
Eventually the plumber was able to cap off the one water line that was broken and turn the rest of the water back on (what a relief!), and the restoration company came yesterday morning. Oh, in the middle of all of this was the deadline for me to publish the RUBY magazine for November, so I was a tiny bit overwhelmed with it all. The guy from the restoration company assured me that he would work with our insurance company to get everything cleaned up and repaired / replaced. Great! Except that our home owners insurance deductible is $2,500 and I have no clue how we are going to come up with that!
After numerous conversations, photos, and phone calls, he told me that the first restoration project would be to clean up the mess and dry everything out. So last night there were huge sucking machines set up in the bathroom and in our bedroom. The water had run underneath the wall between the bathroom and bedroom, so the carpet in our bedroom was soaked, too. Guess we’ll be getting new carpeting in there sooner than we had planned. The machines are loud and HOT!
It almost broke my heart to watch that restoration guy rip up ALL of the brand new laminate flooring – that was a lot of work and time, and we had waited on that project until we had saved up the money so we didn’t need to put it on credit. All gone in just a few minutes under his ripping tool of destruction. Now we are back to the ugly floor boards with the old glue, but now it is also soaked and water stained. I hope those sucking machines really work!
So we had to sleep in the living room last night, but hopefully the floors and walls will be dry enough very soon that the repairs can begin. I’m exhausted. But I did get the magazine out on time – although I haven’t been able to get the print publication ready. Hopefully today. So . . . all of that is to say that I didn’t have time to write an inspirational, creative blog post for today’s Favorite Things Blog Hop and Linky Party. But I hope you will join us anyway because some days we just need to do something fun.
If you’ve ever read the book, “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day,” you’ll understand when I say, “Some days are like that, even in Australia.” Or here in the flyover country of northern Indiana. We have had several terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days. But it’s going to get better, I just know it is!
Please join us this week for the Favorite Things Blog Hop!
Please take the time to get to know ALL of your hostesses