After several years of blogging and other social media “experiments,” I’ve learned a lot. Mostly I’ve learned (by trial and error) the techy stuff I needed to know to accomplish whatever I was working on at any given moment in time. And having not grown up with a computer and keyboard from the age of 3, that learning curve was rather steep at times. So far, however, I’ve managed quite nicely I think for a Vintage Mama!
Unfortunately for some of us, those techy miracles just keep spinning out faster and faster, and it is challenging to keep up with all of the new opportunities to connect with one another, to build a platform, to create a brand, and just to keep your head above water while navigating the ever-changing terrain of social media. Blogging was fun, but then it became like a competition to see who had the most comments, likes, followers, and readers. There are even blogging conferences these days for the most successful bloggers, and everywhere you look someone is trying to sell you their “10 Ways to Start a Successful Blog.”
[ctt template=”5″ link=”x2Ge8″ via=”yes” nofollow=”yes”]In case you didn’t know – here’s how you can post to Instagram from your computer! [/ctt]
Too bad I didn’t know all that stuff when I first started just writing about my family, my hobbies, by art work, my kiddos, my home and garden. I might have been successful, too! But before you can even catch your breath from one new social media opportunity, along comes something else to spin your head around. I know that some bloggers feel kind of overwhelmed with it all. I know I do, and I’ve read other blogs with the same kind of anxiety. But here is where the old news comes in handy – a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step . . . . and, the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time! So much for cliches, but they are both true.
Although I can’t recall in what order I became aware of these various new and amazing social media opportunities, but since I couldn’t jump on everything all at once, I’ve taken my time to learn about different platforms, so all of this might be really old news to you, but I think this is a relatively recent development since my research would indicate that the ability to post to Instagram from your computer has only been available since the beginning of this year.
But remember – I’m a Vintage Mama, so I’m not exactly always up on social and cultural trends. It took me a while to even begin using Instagram, but once I figured out how to post pictures from my phone camera, I got all set up. But I’m not a whiz bang kid using the text function on my phone (like I am on a keyboard which I’ve been using since before you were born!), so it was always kind of cumbersome to try to take a picture, edit it, post it and then type out a caption all from my phone. I did it, but not very often because it just took too long. I’ve got a lot of stuff to get done in a day and couldn’t invest that much time on one little post.
So when I came across a post a couple of weeks about about posting to Instagram from my computer, well that just made my day! Somehow or another I have way more followers on my Vintage Mama’s Cottage Instagram account than I have followed back (I know, I need to get busy and do that soon!), so I feel like I need to put something out there once in a while. Maybe I’ll post over there more now that I can do it from my computer.
In any event, if you don’t know how to post to Instagram from your computer and you would like to learn, here is a link to a helpful post: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-post-to-instagram-from-a-computer/
(Apparently, I just discovered, this option has only been available since May, so perhaps I’m not as far behind the rest of the world as I thought I was!)
There are actually several articles, mostly written by techy folks, that will walk you through the steps. But since lots of us are just ordinary moms who want to post a picture to Instagram from our computers without learning a second language, here’s what worked for me . . .
The only browser I figured out was Chrome, so if you want to use something else, follow the link above. Otherwise, here goes:
- Open a new window in the Chrome browser
- Click on the three little vertical gray dots way up in the top right corner of the window, right next to the address window
- When the options box opens, click on the third option down, “New Incognito Window”
- That will open a new page that will be all black
- Click on the three little vertical gray dots again and that will open a window on the right side with more options – about 2/3 of the way down on that list of options, click on “more tools”
- That will open yet another window off to the left side of the option box. Click on “Developer tools” at the very bottom of that list
- Now a large white box / window will open on the whole right side of your screen – there is a bunch of tech talk but just ignore that – click on the icon at the top that is just to the left of “Elements” (it looks like to rectangles, one large and one small)
- NOW login to Instagram from that same “incognito” page and you will be able to access your account from there.
- If you don’t see the little camera icon at the bottom of your home page on Instagram, click that little double-rectangle icon again. Now you should be able to go to the bottom of your profile page, click on the little camera icon and post from there.
- If this doesn’t work for you, check out some of the other posts that are out there on how to do this. I fiddled around with it for a few minutes before I got it to work for me, but if I can do it, so can you!
I hope this is helpful to you – I was so happy to discover this new way to work that I just had to share it. And if it is old news to you, well, just chalk it up to the fact that I am, after all, a Vintage Mama and sometimes “old” stuff is still pretty good!
For today I’m going to hang out for a while with my friends from the Favorite Things Blog Hop and Linky Party – hope you can join us!
[ctt template=”5″ link=”0g1T6″ via=”yes” nofollow=”yes”]Hey, it’s time for the Favorite Things Blog Hop and Linky Party! Come on and join the fun![/ctt]
Please join us this week for the Favorite Things Blog Hop!
Please take the time to get to know ALL of your hostesses